Visitors and walk-ins are always welcome at SWC/SCL!
There are some things to keep in mind, however, when requesting materials in the reading room:
What are Rare Books?
They are library materials that are not housed with the general collection due to their:
What kind of Rare Books are at the Southwest Collection/Special Collection Library (SWC/SCL)?
Our Rare Books collection is a unique resource among the 38,000 volumes held at SWC/SCL, providing a rich environment to foster scholarly research and other creative endeavors. Among rare and early printed books housed here, you will find illustrated or finely-bound limited editions, artists' books, manuscripts, and maps that cover:
May I request items from the Collection?
This collection is non-circulating, meaning that they are not eligible to be borrowed. You are, however, more than welcome to request materials to view in our reading room. For more information, please see our guide on requesting materials.
**Please note that materials housed in vaults are not always accessible to patrons on nights and weekends.**
Items in the SWC/SCL are searchable through the University Library catalog.
1. Type your search term(s) into the "Start Your Research" search box.
2. Press Enter (Note: The Advanced Search box does not conduct a search for your keywords).
3. Click on the Everything drop down menu.
4. Click on Library Catalog.
6. Click on Books and Media drop down menu.
7. Select Southwest Collection/Special Collections.
Libguide Design: Joshua Salmans