It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to the Counselor Education Research Guide
This guide provides guidance to the Counselor Education Program (both Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling) at Texas Tech University.
This LibGuide has been created to help you use the American Psychological Association (APA) style guide, which is frequently used for the social sciences including education, management, psychology, and the health sciences. Texas Tech University has a Physical Copy of the APA 7 Manual
This guide can help you with the more fundamental tasks including:
1. Reference Formats - examples and explanations for citing your sources in the various formats for your References list.
2. Formatting Your Paper - how to set up your paper including the margins, font, and your References list, as well as sample student papers.
3. In-text citations - also known as parenthetical and narrative citations - how to cite your references in the text of your paper.
4. EndNote - bibliographic citation software, which can help format your citations and is freely available for download to CSS faculty, staff, and students. NOTE: APA 7th Edition is not available in EndNote, yet.
5. Ethically Use Sources - information on the College's academic honesty policy and Turnitin, an online tool to detect where sources need to be cited
NOTE: This guide is in no way a replacement for the actual manual, which is several hundred pages long, and can be found in the Library on reserve at a bookstore near you. Please consult the APA 7th edition manual for authoritative information in greater detail. Also, feel free to talk with a librarian for more help.
Things to Know about the New with APA 7
APA now has different title page requirements for student papers. This title page does not require a running head and has a different set of information to include. See APA Style: Student Title Page Guide.
Titles of papers are now bolded, with a blank line before the author's name.
There is no font requirement as long as the font is legible and consistent.
The heading for the References list is now bolded.